The council is chaired by Lord Chris Smith, Master of Pembroke College.
- Professor Yann Algan - Dean of the School of Public Affairs and Professor of Economics, Sciences Po, France
- Mr Matthew D'Ancona - Journalist, Columnist and Author
- Mr Paul Johnson - Director of the Institute for Fiscal Studies
- Rt Hon Sir Oliver Letwin MP - Member of Parliament for West Dorset
- Professor Angela McLean - Professor of Mathematical Biology, University of Oxford
- Ms Carey Oppenheim – Independent consultant, and LSE International Inequalities Institute Visiting Fellow
- Professor Danny Quah - Dean and Li Ka Shing Professor in Economics, Lee Kuan Yew School of Public Policy, Singapore
- Mr Hetan Shah - Executive Director, The Royal Statistical Society
- Ms Julia Unwin CBE - Former CEO of the Joseph Rowntree Foundation, and Chair of the Commission on Civil Society
- Sir Christopher Wormald - Permanent Secretary of the Department for Health, UK Government
The Council will guide the research strategy and future development of the Institute, drawing on its members' wide-ranging expertise and international experience.
Lord Chris Smith commented on the new council: “The Bennett Institute aims to become an international centre of excellence for policy research. This new Advisory Council will bring together policy-makers from across the UK and beyond, and will help to shape the Institute’s work in the years ahead. The result, we hope, will be proposals for better public policy.”
The Bennett Institute launched in April 2018. Its goal is to rethink public policy in an era of turbulence and growing inequality. Its research connects the world-leading work in technology and science at Cambridge with the economic and political dimensions of policy-making. It is committed to outstanding teaching, policy engagement, and to devising sustainable and long-lasting solutions.